Ok, so when I was thinking about what I wanted to bake for my first post I couldn’t think of anything better than a brownie!! (it didn’t hurt that I have been craving brownies for the past week either :)) My husband loves brownies but isn’t a crazy chocolate person like I am, so I wanted to figure out a way to do a brownie that satisfied me but wasn’t chocolate overload for him and so the His & Her Brownies were born.
I started with a basic brownie, and then decided to make a caramel sauce to add a little extra sweetness for me, and then topped it with a cream cheese icing and the result was yummy, gooey goodness!
1 cup butter, melted 2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter and cocoa powder. Mix with a spatula until combined.
- Gradually add the flour and sugar. Beat together with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined, DO NOT over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 in. baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool slightly.
Adopted from Lunch Lady Brownies
1 cup packed brown sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cups half-and-half pinch of salt
4 tablespoons butter
- While the brownies are in the oven mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes whisking throughout.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Take off burner and let cool slightly and thicken up.
- Poke holes in your brownies while they are warm with a knife and pour caramel sauce over top.
Note – You can use as much or as little as you like. I used about 3/4 of the mixture on the brownies and then saved some for extra topping.
Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese (I used 1/4 less fat)
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
- While the brownies are cooling make the icing. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and salt, beating until blended. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Ice brownies when completely cooled and enjoy!
XO – Ashley